Friday, May 22, 2015

{7 QT 11} - Tell Me Some Good News



I've had a bit of insomnia lately, and Pitter Patter brought home a bug from somewhere and we're all sick ... and we have a plumbing problem... and we were without power for over 3 hours yesterday when I wanted to be doing blog stuff... so... I'm in need of some good news.

So, here's my 7 quick takes of good news.



So, our friend, Scott, is an amateur photographer with professional quality equipment. He's very good. In fact, he took the picture I use for my profile.

Last time he was in town, we went pawn shopping for a good camera for me (to take better pictures for this blog), and the end result was that we went out to a park to take pictures of Pitter Patter. Part of the purpose of this was for me to get to test drive his "back-up" camera to see if it matched my needs.

At the end of the visit, he offered to sell it to me for what they bought it for (which was uber-discount). I wasn't absolutely sure right then, so I thought about it for a couple of weeks, and then we called and he promised to bring it along when they next came into town.

That was this past weekend, and I'm already thrilled with the pictures I'm getting of Pitter Patter. Since switching cameras, I haven't caught a picture with red-eye once! (This was nearly impossible to avoid with my other point & shoot!)


I did go running last Friday, but I've managed to accidentally sleep through my alarm every day this week so far. (My bed is really comfy...)

However, on Wednesday I did attend a Zumba class - which went better than expected.

I drank almost a whole quart of water during the class, but I was not anywhere near hacking up a lung at the end of it, so that was good. (Which is how my first experience of Zumba went.)

Zumba is actually on Mondays and Wednesdays, but I only expect to be able to attend on Wednesdays, due to a scheduling conflict with Bible Study and/or Daniel's "guys night". (Take your pick, they're both the same night.)

Unfortunately, I can't attend next week, and the instructor has to take off for the month of June, so I'm going to have to scrape together some discipline to actually work out on my own time. We'll see how this goes.


I had expected to continue having problems with insomnia this week, but it has been gratefully not as I expected - I was only up on Sunday night / very early Monday morning. (In fact, I had originally written a completely different 7QT with the title "I Hate Insomnia, But..." - Yay!)


I had a doctor's appointment this week to have my thyroid hormones checked, and it was much higher than I thought it would be. (I have a minor thyroid condition - easily treatable with inexpensive meds.) The last time I was on the dosage I was on at the beginning of this week, my TSH had been between 2 and 4 (which is healthy, according to most doctors), but this week it was 5. Yikes!

Doc wants it below 2, just to be on the safe side, so she increased my dosage, and things should be all hunky-dory. (Which... did you know that there is actually a correct spelling of "hunky-dory"?)

(In case you were wondering - the good news is that the dosage is now correct, or at least better than it was before!)



I realize that I'm like five months behind for a post like this, but... I made a planner for myself.

I finally got fed up with "pay fifty bucks to get this planner refill that only kinda meets your needs", and I made a series of templates for my planner and took it to office depot to get it copied and bound. It's pretty cool.

This planner goes through like... the end of January 2016, (you know, just in case I procrastinate about making another one). It's got monthly pages, daily pages, a bunch of notes pages, and a few pages at the front for your "rule of life".

The categories under "plans" are:
"AM", "Noonish", "PM", "Evening", and "Night"
There is also a little spot for what's for dinner.
The thing that made the daily pages of this planner better for me than others is the way the proportions are laid out. Most planners that have "daily" pages, dedicate like half the page to your schedule for the day, and have this teeny-tiny little section for a to-do list.

My life is simply not complicated enough or time-dependent enough to dedicate that much time to my schedule. My life is much more driven by what needs to happen than at what time it needs to happen.

So... more space for to-do, less space for notes and schedule, and a little spot for a "special memory". It's an 8.5 x 5.5 size, so it fits in my purse. I think it's pretty sweet.

The only real problem is that it was a pain to try to have the dates printed on it, so it's "undated" and you have to write the dates in by hand. Took me a few days to finish them all, but it's done now.


Pitter Patter is now jumping consistently, and catching air almost every time. It's totally cute!


And finally,
we've had leaky faucet in one of our bathrooms for a few weeks now. Maybe longer. I'm not sure, but I don't want to count and have to admit to exactly how long it's been.

Anyhow. I've been procrastinating about calling because there's another unrelated problem in our master bathroom that's needed fixing for a good long while, but I didn't want to let anybody in my bedroom because it usually looks like a bomb went off in there.

Well, the leak in the hall bathroom got a good bit worse this week, so I finally broke down and called somebody yesterday morning. Three hours later, this is what my bedroom looked like:

In case you were wondering: yes, it has been swept and mopped! Isn't it sparkly?!

I didn't think to take a "before" picture, but there's no way I'm going to go mess everything up so I can stage one! Just imagine piles of random junk in every corner and a giant pile of laundry on the middle of the floor.

By the end of the day, my plumbing should be all fixed! Woohoo! And my room is clean in the process! Double Woohoo!



Oh, yeah, and my blog is officially 6 months old today. Yay!

So, now it's your turn:

Tell me some good news! (No, really! Leave me a comment with some good news!)



For more Quick Takes, visit This Ain't the Lyceum! 



No comments:

Post a Comment