Friday, December 4, 2015

{7 QT 23} - More Life Lately

So... life has been pretty busy for me this last month! Here's a little about what's been going on with me lately.

Quick Prayer Request first: sometime during the month, I misplaced my Bible and haven't been able to find it. It's the Bible I got when I was Confirmed, and so it's very special to me.  I use it for pretty much everything I do. Please pray that I'm able to find it.

So National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) went really well. I finished my 50,000 words, and my blog and house didn't completely fall apart.  (You know, just... mostly.)

It was a bit more of a challenge than it usually is for a few reasons.
  1. I can't get much writing done when this cutie is awake.
  2. I didn't get to stop being pregnant for the month of November, so When she went down for her nap, I usually went down for mine!
  3. I was in charge, locally, this month! Coordinating events, working with our local libraries and businesses that wanted to host write-ins... that was all technically my responsibility.

As NaNoWriMo's go, this year was kind of "trial by fire" for me being ML.

  • Our regional kick-off event (which we like to do at a local park) looked like it was going to rain out, and had to be moved at the last minute to a local business with a private room. (They were awesome about trying to accommodate us at the last minute!)
  • Our first write-in (which was the next day, and was NOT scheduled outside) also had to be moved because our coffee shop apparently some kind of plumbing issues whenever it rains too hard, and they had to close their lobby. (My amazing participants who arrived ahead of me did EVERYTHING that would be necessary to suddenly move the write-in to a nearby local sandwich place, and one of them waved me down when I got there and told me where we were going)
  •  A couple of the local librarians didn't contact me before planning write-ins. (And they planned conflicts.)
  • There was a sudden death in Daniel's family, and we had to spend a day traveling to and from the funeral
  • Having to be gluten-free (notice what I didn't say... more on this in a moment) really complicated group writing events, where everyone wants to have coffee and scones.
 But I had THE MOST AMAZING participants, who have helped me every step of the way, including one who also has some kind of medical thing with gluten-free, dairy free, who offered me... recipes.... and I was so excited.

I had been thinking that testing for a personal reaction to dairy was going to mean that I had to get my thyroid antibodies down to zero and then reintroduce dairy. I talked to my OBGYN, and she gave me something like a procedure. After having had it removed completely for at least 6 weeks, reintroduce, and watch for physical reactions.

To make my life easier in November, we decided to test dairy then. I started out the month with about a cup of milk every day.  By the end, I was drinking regular milk and eating cheesy things with abandon, and not noticing ANY difference!

So... WOOOHOO! I can have milk again!
This is a really big deal for me. Because well...
Friends don't let friends buy vegan cheese.

I had two prenatal appointments during November - no problems... just getting to that point in the pregnancy. I measured "big" at both of them. I was starting to think that my doctor was going to move the due date, but she didn't. We had an ultrasound to confirm the due date, and everything looks good!

And while I'm on the subject of that ultrasound - it was the best ultrasound I've ever had. The baby was very cooperative.

I think we may have a little diva on our hands. She was showing off all her mad "outside the womb" skillz. She was doing her "practice breathing" pretty much the whole time, she stuck her tongue out a few times, and she blinked, and she opened her hand so we could see all her little fingers, and she put her foot up so we got a cute little picture of it. And she put her whole hand in her mouth while we were watching.

She's in vertex position, and given everything I saw yesterday, I am very comfortable heading into delivery. Very comfortable.

I got bit by the nesting bug a little during November. (I know I said that the house only fell apart mostly during November, and this is why.)

When the nesting bug hit, it hit the fridge... so... the fridge is actually still in pretty good condition. I went through and labeled all of the stuff in there that I knew when I'd made it with the date, and anything I didn't... was labeled "Science," so we'd throw them away a couple at a time whenever the trash was almost full and the dishwasher was "not quite ready to run".

It's been working well. Just need to establish the habit of labels for both me and my husband.

I'm also getting to that point in the pregnancy where I start really looking at labor & delivery and beyond... my first labor was entirely too long. I say this about a labor that was 23 hours, from start to finish (not counting my Braxton Hicks contractions).

I've started building something like a strategy for L & D so that I can try again for a natural childbirth, and have a hope of things going smoothly. I've got a few things I'm doing right now to prepare, a couple of things I'm going to start doing at 35 weeks, and a couple more things I'm going to start getting ready when I go into "real" labor.

We've been working really hard to figure out things like godparents and who's keeping Pitter Patter while I'm in the hospital and sorting out the logistics of cloth diapers. (I've been trying to accumulate a stash a little at a time, but seriously... I've got like... five... and I need like twenty-five.)

Not Due 'til late January, so hoping we don't end end up either too close to Christmas or too close to Lent!

For more Quick Takes, visit This Ain't the Lyceum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment